Tuesday, May 10, 2011

FOREVER YOUNG/competition will stir up memories

I'm entering a short story contest. The story line is about past loves. Well I didn't have too many of those, but there was one or two that I was smitten with, (which I'm only going to write about one).. that is until I met my husband, at the age of twenty-one, and really fell in love.

This competition isn't easy. It will stir up memories of the soldiers, who fought in Viet Nam. I lived in the city, and the naval hospital wasn't too far from my house.  As a young teen of eighteen, I would visit these fine young navy men.  It was a rude awakening for me, because many of these men were my age, or a little older. And they had lost an arm, leg, or both.  It was a sad time for many families.

But  regardless of their injuries, their eyes lit up,  and they smiled at me, just knowing someone, a complete stranger cared enough to visit them.  Many were far away from home. They talked to me about their wife's or girlfriends. And all they wanted, was to go home and see their mom, and their family.

So today, I will give my story a little more thought, painful as it is, but I have no regrets. because these men stood for courage, and they sacrificed so much, to make our world a better place to live in.

The story's not due until August, so I have plenty of time to reflect.

so for me, these navy men will always be FOREVER YOUNG

No comments:

Post a Comment