Sunday, March 20, 2011

FOREVER YOUNG/corned beef and cabbage

Today,  Sunday, a day of rest or is it. Sometimes I wonder. It seems you do more work on this day then any other. And you start planning what to eat for dinner the moment you get up. It usually is a big one, because during the week too many things are going on, and usually I make a quick meal, taking all of twenty minutes...

So Sunday's dinner is like the Big Mac of McDonald's. Instead of having just a hamburger and french fries, you splurge and have the big one.........

And since St. Patrick's Day was a weekday, and my Husband is part Irish,  he preferred to have his corned beef and cabbage today, so  I will be cooking the famous Corned Beef and Cabbage.

A simple meal, but if you don't cook the corned beef just right, you can destroy it.

This reminds me of a time, which was years ago, when my husband and I were invited to my friends' house for a corned beef dinner. We were starving and couldn't wait to sink out teeth into that delicious meat.

We sat around the table chit chatting, waiting for the corned beef to make its presence. When it appeared, my friend placed it on the center of the table. But what did I see,  and couldn't believe was a shrunken piece of meat. I looked at my husband and tried not to laugh.

My friend apologized and said she didn't know what happened.  But of course I didn't say anything. I didn't want to hurt my friends feelings, after all we didn't get together too often for dinner because of our busy lives...

And even though the corned beef was small, it should taste good, right?  Wrong.  It was so dry that I could hardly swallow it.  Again my friend apologized.   But we all had a great time and laughed a lot about the shrunken corned beef...

After we said our goodbyes, and thanked our hosts for dinner, my husband and I rushed  home and raided our refrigerator for something to eat, which wasn't much, since my shopping day was usually on Monday's

Then a year went by, and we were once again invited to my friends house for dinner, I prayed and hoped it wasn't corned beef.  It wasn't, instead it was a baby shower for me, and she served delicious Roast Beef and Potato Salad  And wouldn't you know it, that was the night my twins decided to be born.

So for me Corned Beef and Cabbage, will always remind me of being

FOREVER YOUNG

No comments:

Post a Comment