Thursday, March 3, 2011

FOREVER YOUNG/caruso and lanza

This morning I woke up to Mario Lanza on tv..and for those who don't know about him, he was a famous opera singer, (tenor)so you can imagine how the power of his voice woke me up.

He was playing Enrico Caruso, another famous opera singer (tenor) starting his career in 1895 and died at the young age of 48, from some type of infection.

Mario Lanza started his career in the 1940's. He also died young 38, from a heart attack.

Both of these men died ten years apart in age, and both gave the gift of their voices to the world.

There was a man Nick Petrella, who owned the local record store on Snyder Ave. in Philadelphia. He knew all the great recording artists, but  he was close friends with the Lanza family, and dedicated the back of his store with Mario Lanza Memorabilia... It was his own personal tribute to this great opera singer.

As kids my cousin, sister and I would visit Nick many times, and we would tour the little museum he made. We were in awe of Mario Lanza, what a handsome man he was. I never met him, but felt like I knew him, from the stories Nick told us....

Now I really don't understand opera, but when I listen to the music, it takes me into another world, another time, what a great place to be, if only for a little while.

And that's why I admire these two great opera singers.

so for me Lanza and Caruso will always be FOREVER YOUNG

No comments:

Post a Comment